In college the best advice any professor probably gave was to “network, network, network” by encouraging you to go to different business fairs and events.
Even your close friends and family probably gave you the same advice! At the end of the day, it is true that if you want to achieve professional success, you need to go out there and meet new people.
"Opportunities don't just happen, you create them" so it is within you to make them happen!
You will never know who can help you create an opportunity and achieve what you have always wanted… The problem is when you lack focus, and there, is when frustration kicks in.
Attending cocktail parties, handing business cards to everyone without caring to create meaningful connections and bouncing around random small talks, would end up leading you nowhere.
Stop for a moment…. Reflect… and think, am I really following up with the contacts I meet? Are all my business cards filed in a drawer and never ever will they see the light again?
Remember effective networking requires purpose and preparation, so the next time you go out with the purpose to find valuable contacts try to ask yourself 4 easy questions:
- Is the opportunity you are looking for aligned with your goals?
- Will your participation be valuable to others? and the ones attending, will they have a valuable impact for you?
- Is this going to help you expand your network?
- Do you have a plan?
So first, start with your goal and then create a strategy on how networking in a specific event can help you reach it.
Now, go to that event and rock it out! Having a plan will make it so much easier to follow up later and this is how BENBO app can help you set your goals and ease the pain.
Here are some tips:
1. Before you enter the room use BENBO app and create a group for the specific event. Make a little reminder note of where were you and why.
This way you can always go back and remind yourself what valuable connections you made and follow up.
2. At the event, add the contacts you meet to the group
3. The good thing about being organized and taking a little time to create a strategy is that you can always go back and message them using BENBO, send them an email, reach out using social media and much more. Having your contacts already filtered, while also remembering who they are is in fact AMAZING!
I can't express enough how important it is to always follow up, so the next time you meet people just try to send a little message immediately after.
Networking, like all things, take some work, but it shouldn’t mean it can’t be fun!